How to load Android apps on Windows 11 in 2021 [Guide]
Almost three weeks after the stable launch of Windows 11, Microsoft began rolling out Android app support to beta testers in the United States. Currently, you need an Amazon US account to run and install Android apps on Windows 11. Additionally, the Amazon Appstore currently only offers a limited selection of Android apps. So if you are looking to install TikTok, Snapchat or any of your favorite apps on Windows 11, let’s learn how to bypass all the limitations and load Android apps on Windows 11. You can load any Android app just fine. your choice on your Windows 11 PC using ADB. So without further ado, let’s go ahead and learn how to load APKs on Windows 11.
Sideloading Android apps on Windows 11 (2021)
We have added the step by step process to load Android apps on Windows 11 in this article. You can, in fact, install any Android app outside of the Amazon App Store on your PC with this method. I suggest you follow the instructions below for easier setup. But if you are a business user, navigate to any relevant section of the table below.
Find the IP address of the Windows Subsystem for Android
1. First, you need to configure Windows Subsystem for Android to run and install Android apps on your Windows 11 PC. You can follow our linked guide for the detailed steps.
2. With that done, open the Windows for Android Subsystem from the The Start menu.
3. After that, in the settings of the Windows Subsystem for Android, activate “developer modeA new pop-up will open. Let it complete the process.
4. Now click on the “RefreshâNext to the IP address. An IP address will be generated, which you must enter. If no IP address is assigned, follow the next step to manually find the IP address of the Windows for Android system.
5. If an IP address is not displayed, click on “Manage developer settings“in developer mode.
6. Next, scroll down in the developer options menu and tap “Wireless debugging“.
7. Here, note the IP address displayed under wireless debugging settings. For example mine is
172.22.172.245. No need to copy the port. Now close the window.
Connect to Windows Subsystem for Android through ADB
1. Once you have the WSA IP address, go ahead and configure ADB on your Windows 11 PC. You can head to this link and download platform tools For windows. It is necessary to side-load the APKs of Android apps on Windows 11.
2. Now unzip Platform Tools and extract it to the desktop or wherever you want. Under the folder, click the address bar and type
cmd, and press Enter. This will instantly open the command prompt in the same folder.
3. Here we need to connect to Windows Subsystem for Android. Run the command as below. Just replace
IP_address with the real IP address you noted above. You should get the “Connected to IP_address” output.
adb connect IP_address
4. If you get a âConnection Failedâ error, don’t worry. Run the command again and you will be logged in this time. You can also run the
adb devices to check if you are logged in to the Windows for Android subsystem.
Load any Android app on your Windows 11 PC
1. Once the connection is established, go ahead and download your favorite Android app which you want to download to your Windows 11 PC. You can download APKs from APKMirror or other legitimate websites. I would like recommend x86_64 packaged APK download for better performance. If the app does not have x86 APK, you can also download ARM64 APKs. You also have the option to side-load the Universal Packaged APKs on Windows 11.
2. After downloading it, right click on the APK and click “Copy as pathâTo copy the path address (file location) to the APK.
3. Now go back to the CMD window and type the command below. To replace
apk_path with the path address you copied above. You can right click on the black CMD screen to easily paste the copied address.
adb install apk_path
4. Finally, press Enter and the Android application will be downloaded to your Windows 11 PC. You will get a “Success“exit after installation is complete. If you get errors, download other APK files of different architecture, such as ARM, x86_64, Universal, etc. And if you get error similar to” more than one device / emulator “, we’ve included a fix for this issue below.
5. Once the application is downloaded, you find it in the start menu, like any other Windows application. You can even search for Android apps from the Start menu and pin them to the taskbar.
6. For example, here I am running WhatsApp, Instagram, Signal, Apple Music and Aurora Store at the same time. And, they all have works surprisingly well. They behave very well as a native app and scale well on Windows 11 without any DPI or scaling issues.
Install a third-party app store to load Android apps on Windows 11
If you do not want to install applications individually via the command line, you can Sideload Aurora Store APK (To download) on Windows 11 from CMD for a one-time setup. After that, you can easily install popular Android apps from Aurora Store with just few clicks. No need to use Amazon Appstore which requires US Amazon account and has limited app library. By the way, Aurora Store is a perfect open source alternative to Google Play Store.
How to uninstall Android apps on Windows 11
To uninstall an Android app from your Windows 11 PC, you can simply right click on it in the Start menu and click “UninstallThat’s it. You can delete Android apps from your PC just like any other Windows app.
How to fix “More than one device / emulator” error in Windows 11
If you get the “more than one device / emulatorâOn Windows 11 while installing Android apps, chances are you are running an Android emulator. You can uninstall the emulator to fix the problem immediately or set your command as below to load APK on Windows for Android subsystem. Simply replace
adb -s IP_address install apk_path
Install any Android app on Windows 11 outside of the Amazon App Store
This is how you can load any Android app on your Windows 11 PC. The best part is that with ADB you can bypass Amazon Appstore and install all your favorite Android apps without any hassle. I haven’t tried Android games on Windows 11 yet, but stay tuned with us for more exciting discoveries around the Windows Subsystem for Android. Anyway, it all comes from us. If you want to configure Windows Subsystem for Linux on your Windows 10/11 computer, follow our related article. And if you have any questions, let us know in the comments section below.