Is it possible to use a VPN on my Smart TV?
If you’re like me, you’ll agree that watching a movie or series on the big screen is the best way to enjoy it. Although going to the cinema is a different experience, having theater moments at home is incomparable.
There’s no denying that movie theaters have first access to the latest and most sought-after content. But in light of the “new normal”, online access to streaming platforms has become the most convenient and convenient option.
To access all types of entertainment content and connect them to your smart tv, test on ExpressVPN for Apple TV by VPNRanks reveal which VPN works best with smart TV systems.
First, let’s take a look at VPNs. These digital tools have many uses. They protect your data and keep it private.
They improve connection speed and remove barriers. And one of their brilliant benefits is that they allow you to easily access geo-restricted content. It is therefore obvious that VPNs attract many users online.
Specifically, for movie addicts, VPNs help bypass geo-restrictions and are compatible with almost any type of operating system or device. They connect with iOS, androidWindows, Edge, Linux, Smart TV systems, game consoles and routers.
For movie addicts, watching movies on laptops and phones may not provide the best streaming experience. It’s even distracting when you’re watching a movie on Netflix using your phone, and it suddenly vibrates from an incoming phone call.
That’s why the best way to enjoy your favorite international content is to use a VPN that works on your smart TV.
Can I use a VPN on my Smart TV?
Yes, you can use a VPN on your smart TV – although it’s not what you think!
The problem is that even today, most smart TVs do not support installing a VPN directly on their system. Instead, you’ll need to find a way to install the VPN on your router and connect it to your smart TV to make it work.
As mentioned, it is possible, but it will take a bit of tinkering. You have to do it manually.
Although it is possible to download an APK of a VPN and install it on your smart TV (Android) if you have one, this process is not recommended as it can damage your smart TV and even cancel the guaranteed if you are not careful.
Why is a VPN essential for Smart TVs?
Smart TVs are internet-connected home devices. Even though there are many brands, operating systems and models of smart TVs, almost all smart TVs include apps that allow you to watch movies and shows from streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Prime Video and Disney. easily accessible with a VPN.
Additionally, VPNs are important for consistent streaming even when traveling. So whether you are staying in a hotel for lodging or living with your loved ones, you can access geo-restricted streaming sites and use their smart TVs for your streaming needs.
How to connect your Smart TV with a VPN?
Because smart TVs and VPNs are all unique, there is no universal protocol to connect them. Many major electronics companies, such as Samsung and LG, have entered the smart TV market and are constantly improving their brands.
New models of TVs from some brands allow the installation of a VPN directly on them. Many smart TV models run on Android, therefore the TV will eventually work with a VPN app/software. Samsung Smart TVs, on the other hand, are incompatible with VPN apps and must be configured in a different way, for example, through the router configuration.
When setting up VPN on a router, your smart TV will be protected by VPN security features. If your router firmware supports VPN setup, you can use the setup guides provided by your VPN provider. If not, you should consider replacing the firmware of the router with VPN-supported firmware, such as Tomato or DD-WRT.
Keep in mind that knowing which firmware is better and completely replacing it can cause problems on your router if handled incorrectly. Therefore, leave the task to a tech expert.
Another option is to buy a pre-configured router, like the ones mentioned earlier. ExpressVPN’s router is suggested because it has custom firmware and is easy to use. NordVPN also has great third-party affiliate options.
Best VPN for Smart TV Criteria
At VPNranks, we adhere to a strict criteria-based system to provide the most accurate ratings possible. VPN apps, servers, speed, unlocking capabilities, and security were the most important factors we considered. Learn more about them here:
- Smart TV Apps. The best VPN for smart TVs must have app versions for smart TV systems. And they should be downloadable in the most transparent way. They must have apps for Android TV, Apple TV, Fire TV, and routers for manual setup.
- Server availability. A physical server in the country you are trying to access the restricted content is required to stream your favorites to your smart TV. While virtual VPN servers might be adequate for our ranking in other categories, they’re not the norm for smart TVs.
- Reliability and speed. It is not enough for the VPN to unlock restricted content. The fastest speed when watching content is what sets the best VPN for smart TVs apart from the rest. The bare minimum is no latency and no disconnection issues. The VPN we recommended provided consistent speed with the best audio and visual quality in our tests.
- Unlock Abilities. International platforms have strict restrictions that VPNs must bypass. The VPN should do this in the most perfect way possible, without leaving traces online. Using the VPN’s best MediaStreamer and TrustedServer technologies, you can unlock a streaming platform and view it on your smart TV. What a delight!
- Security. The most important consideration is safety. Whatever the circumstances, your smart TV VPN should secure your streaming. Since accessing blocked content can reveal your identity online, you should use a tool that masks your activity.
Which VPN is best for your Smart TV?
Based on ExpressVPN on VPNranks smart TVs, tests show that ExpressVPN really works wonders on the device. This VPN exceeded our criteria and was able to connect to smart TVs both directly and manually.
Once you have everything set up and a VPN installed on your router, all you have to do is turn on your Smart TV and start surfing for your favorite content. It’s so easy.
So what are you waiting for? Sign up now for a reliable VPN service, access your favorite movies and protect your Smart TV while streaming.