‘Unmeat’ your diet
India’s startup ecosystem is seeing more and more job cuts as Unacademy asks 150 employees of PrepLadder, a medical training platform it acquired in 2020, to leave.
The company says this is the “result of a recent assessment” which placed around 2.6% of the workforce on a performance improvement program, and called it “ standard practice in all organizations”.
It was only two months after the edtech giant laid off 600 employees across all departments.
After two years of record growth due to the pandemic, Indian edtech startups are not doing so well. Apart from Unacademy, other players like Vedantu, Eruditus, LidoLearning, and FrontRow also laid off employees this year. WhiteHat Jr has seen employees resign after the startup asked them to work from the office.
In addition, four Indian brands ranked among the top 100 global brands. A report by Kantar, a UK-based consultant, listed Tata Consultancy Services (#46), HDFC Bank (#61), Infosys (#64) and Life Insurance Corporation (#92) in its “Most Valuable Global Brands” for 2022.
Of course, Apple tops the list, followed by Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Tencent.
Last but not least, there is a new (design) plane in town. As the world grapples with rising airfares, a German plane designer’s concept could “revolutionize” budget travel. The idea? A two-story plane.
Alejandro Núñez Vicente first designed the Chaise Lounge airplane seat when he was a student. This week it was tested at an industry event in Hamburg, Germany – scale and all.
‘Unmeat’ your diet
Daily specials include Unmutton Keema, Vegicken Curry and Eggless Bhurji. Perplexed? These are just a few of the offerings from plant-based startup GoodDot, aiming to replace the meat on your plate.
Launched in 2016 by Abhishek Sinha and Deepak Parihar, GoodDot aims to create affordable meat alternatives that still taste like meat.
As an animal lover who has rescued and fed strays since childhood, being a meat eater has become a moral dilemma. In fact, he tried to abandon her several times.
“I would start eating meat again because of the taste. I was unable to control the urge,” Abhishek said.
Eventually his passion won out and GoodDot was born.
It’s in the taste:
- GoodDot’s products include Biryani, Meatless Mince, Unmutton Dhaba Curry Kit, Vegicken Chunks in Brine are 125-500g packs, priced between Rs 95 and Rs 379.
- In 2017, the startup sold around 3,000 units every day. That number now stands at 50,000.
- Besides an online and offline presence in India, GoodDot exports to Singapore, Canada, Nepal, UAE, South Africa, Oman and Mauritius.
What will you do if you receive a job offer worth Rs 1 crore?
When IIT-M and IIM-A alumna Vineeta Singh faced an offer from Deutsche Bank at the age of 23, she knew what she had to do. She turned down the job and decided to take the plunge as an entrepreneur. Now his startup SUGAR Cosmetics is valued at half a billion dollars (Rs 4,000 crore).
One of the most important tools she used to create her D2C beauty brand is social media. Judge Shark Tank India’s social media channels are also a gold mine for lessons in entrepreneurship.
- Before tasting success, Vineeta also had failures with an insurance company and a lingerie startup that didn’t take off. “Wrong place, wrong time,” she says.
- She takes great pride in increasing brand awareness, with a focus on visual storytelling. She took to Instagram to celebrate SUGAR Cosmetics opening its 100th store last week.
- Funding is not a step in itself, according to Vineeta, hinting at consistency and the need to just show up are more important
“Entrepreneurship is like a marathon. In fact, it teaches you a lot about showing up every day and not having to worry about anything else. Entrepreneurship is like running a marathon. Leave the bus nahi karna huh. (Don’t give up),” she said Your story.
Assurance in the Metaverse
Is there anything the metaverse can’t do? Apparently not.
As blockchain technology is growing rapidly, attracting users from all over the world, its asset market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 40% between 2022 and 2030.
But as assets, including digital properties, avatar health, and digital goods, become more commonplace, there is a risk of losing them, leading to a growing need to insure them.
Enter AcknoLedger, which has built a Universal Content Numbering Scheme (UCNS) for Web3 assets across a range of NFT (non-fungible token) and metaverse ecosystems. So far, AcknoLedger says its beta product is seeing traction of around 15,000 monthly users.
Key points to remember:
- The Universal Content Number Scheme (UCNS) maps all NFTs to virtual platforms.
- The project has partnered with over 100 Metaverse and game platforms for digital asset tracking. He raised $1.53 million in funding.
- AcknoLedger plans to perform interoperability checks for NFTs, track their usefulness, scarcity, social proof, and more.
“Content is the new economy, so it is necessary to have a unique serial identification system. Think of it as a small insurance policy for your content,” says Abhishek Singh Rajpurohit, co-founder of AcknoLedger.
Get the daily capsule delivered to your inbox now. Subscribe to our newsletter today!
(This has been updated to reflect that WhiteHat Jr employees quit when asked to return to work and were not fired.)